Tuesday, November 11, 2008

With Great Pride, in Honor of My Amazing Incredible Father, Private 1st Class Kenneth Harold Keeton who served our country in World War II




KENNETH HAROLD KEETON

MARCH 4, 1923 - JULY 18, 1962


Yesterday I received copies of letters that my Father wrote to his Mother and younger sisters in 1943, 1944 and 1945 while he was serving in World War II in the Phillippines. Monday November 10, 2008...one day before Veteran's Day I get those letters! That's the best. A window into the world my Father lived while he was serving our country.

One letter he wrote his Mom while he was in basic training at Camp Mackall in Hoffman, North Carolina in March 1944 was signed "Love and good night again to all, "Pvt." Kenneth Harold Keeton....out to the left in the margin by "Pvt." he wrote "I'm proud of this." with an arrow pointing to it. Wow, that made me feel good.

That's the man who loved me and raised me to be who I am. A man who was proud to serve the in the armed forces of the United States of America and make it safe and free.

My Dad died of a heart attack at 39 one hot summer day in July 1962. Worst day of my life. But every single day of my life I know how much he loved me. That love has carried me through some unbelievably tough stuff in my life, but nothing that could ever compare to the time he proudly served our country, the United States of America in the 188th Glider Infantry in the United States Army during World War II.

I pray for every person that reads these words the kind of amazing love that I had from my Father.

God bless my wonderful loving Father and God bless America!

I'll see you in heaven Daddy! God, I miss you with all my heart. Give Mom a kiss for me. I know you are there together. In love and honor, your daughter, Lana


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Lana,

What a wonderful tribute to your father. I enjoyed it immensely. It brought back memories of my dad who passed away last November on Veteran's Day. He served in the Army Air Corps and flew bombing missions over Italy out of North Africa. I know they are all dancing in heaven to the big band tunes he taught me to love.

Best Regards,

Kelly