Wednesday, December 5, 2012

AMERICAN MEDICAL SYSTEMS PAYS CONSULTING FEES TO TOP DOCS AT CLEVELAND CLINIC

Sure wish I knew this when Dr. G. Willy Davila testified as my treating physician at the medical malpractice trial I won against Dr. Bernard Cantor in December 2009 (because Dr. Bernard Cantor, among other things, had falsified my medical records in addition to sending me home with untreated, uncontrolled necrotizing fasciitis in December 2001.)

Dr. Davila didn't mention the work he was doing for American Medical Systems on their new "Elevate" mesh prolapse kit in his deposition testimony or his testimony at trial. And my attorney, Darryn Silverstein, didn't ask. Wow, how gullible was I? I sure never thought Dr. Davila would do a thing like that.

I trusted him emphatically with my health for 7 years, surgery after surgery after surgery believing what he told me about how the problems with mesh were surgical error by other doctors. Not until I became so involved in surgical mesh research for others did I understand the truth and find another doctor to care for me.

I believed the American medical system and the U.S. legal system were here to protect me. I was wrong. Pretty sad stuff when all the professionals around you, medical and legal, are profiting off of your misfortune all the while not doing their best for you. 

But that is what happens every single day to hundreds of thousands of patients injured by drugs and devices. It may be happening to you, too. Never hesitate to ask all the questions of your doctor and of your attorney. They are being paid because they are treating you or representing you. They work for you!

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS ARE DIRECT QUOTES FROM THE CLEVELAND CLINIC WEBSITE:

“As of 9/17/2012, Dr. (G. Willy) Davila has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below.....


Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Davila receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
American Medical Systems, Inc.
Astellas Pharma US, Inc.

Royalty Payments. Dr. Davila receives or has the right to receive royalty payments for inventions or discoveries commercialized through the companies shown below:
American Medical Systems, Inc.

Right to Future Distribution of Cleveland Clinic Financial Interest. Dr. Davila may receive future financial benefits from the Cleveland Clinic for inventions or discoveries commercialized through the companies shown below:
American Medical Systems, Inc.
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/staff_directory/staff_display.aspx?DoctorID=3144  

As of 2/13/2012, Dr. (Mark) Walters has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below....Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. (Mark) Walters receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
American Medical Systems, Inc.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/staff_directory/staff_display.aspx?doctorid=724  

No comments: